TaKtiX: Todd Rowland

Todd is the Brand Manager for Alderac Entertainment Group

Friday, May 19, 2006

Smell the Con Season...


Ah Con Season, almost upon us again. Con season is that nifty little time between the end of May and October when the big cons all seem to happen. ComicCon, Origins, GenCon Indy, DragonCon, KublaCon, etc. Nothing beats making the journey and enjoying a con as a gamer.

Of course, I haven't been able to do that for a few years. Don't get me wrong, cons are still a blast, they're just different now. There are some plusses and minuses. In the old days as a gamer, you gamed until 2am or worse, rolled back in at 9am and started all over, driven on the sheer power of caffeine and really bad convention hall nachos. Now, by the time 7pm gets there, I'm pretty exhausted and ready for food and sleep. Of course, that never happens. Dinner is followed by mingling with friends from other companies that we don't see often.

End result, I still stay out until 2am and roll in at 9am. But now it's adrenaline that powers it rather than caffeine. Seeing all of you guys and girls there having a good time is really a rush. I feed off of it I suppose. I've been known to run the whole of GenCon Indy on a total of 8 hours of sleep, just because there's so much going on.

At GenCon SoCal last year people said I looked pretty tired, of course I had just flown back from KoHIT the day before, so I think that's allowable.

Anyway, everyone gives their little list of what to do at a con, but here's mine:

1. Get a room. Don't do that sleeping in the car business. Get a room, get a bed. You'll enjoy the con a lot more just being able to crash there for the few hours between flipping cards.

2. Watch your stuff. It never fails. Every single show someone gets their cards stolen. Don't ask people to watch stuff for you, keep your own eyes on your own things. If you have too much to carry around, you might want to rethink how much you're bringing.

3. Leave the con for a little while. Just a little while. Most of these cities have some really great places to visit, and not seeing them while you're there is a shame. Even if it's just to take in a cool local place for dinner one night. You've made the trip, get the most out of it.

4. Say hi. I like to try to meet as many players as I can. Of course, if I'm dashing from one place to another, probably not the best time. However if I'm just hanging out at the booth or wandering around watching the games please do come up and chat.

5. Buy something from the artists. I know everyone likes getting their cards signed, and most artists will gladly do it. But those exhibit booths aren't free. If you liked that character card enough to get it signed, pony up the $25 and buy the print.

6. There are about 20 other things I should mention but I'm tired.

I really hope to see a lot of you over the summer. At the moment, it looks like I'll definitely be at the following:

Origins - Columbus, OH
GenCon - Indianapolis, IN
DragonCon - Atlanta, GA
L5R World Championships - Brussels, Belgium
GenCon SoCal - Anaheim, CA

And tomorrow I'm off to MobiCon here in lovely Mobile, AL...

3 Comments:

Blogger Tyra said...

wow, Todd, you'll come to the L5R worlds?
GREAT stuff ...
now I have to save money for that as well ^^

Friday, May 19, 2006 9:37:00 AM  
Blogger Azraela said...

Have fun at MobiCon. Jason Parks went last year and said it was a neat little place.

Friday, May 19, 2006 4:14:00 PM  
Blogger Mike Leader said...

A Lot of us are coming to Worlds, Tyra...I know I wouldn't miss it for the world!!

Sunday, May 21, 2006 6:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home