TaKtiX: Todd Rowland

Todd is the Brand Manager for Alderac Entertainment Group

Monday, May 22, 2006

Deck Building...


Oddly enough, one of the things I find hardest in my job is actually finding the time to build decks. I will shamelessly scour the Temple for decklists and slightly modify them to play at the local store. I just haven't had a lot of time to do anything from scratch. However, in the last few weeks I've built an entire deck without looking at anyone else's ideas, and I have another one in mind that has me more excited.

The one I made first was a Simon deck. It runs the Light/Shadow/Keres stuff to the hilt. Baedan for back up, etc. It's been really effective so far, losing only to Duty so far. Only problem is that it's a long, long game and that's not really my style. So that's how I moved on to the one I'm going to talk about today.

I've always been a fan of Vakeros. I love the risk of either winning really fast, or losing even faster. My mind instantly went to Vakeros when I started messing around with my Eye of the Storm cards. The skeleton of a deck came together as soon as I laid eyes on Albino Novice. The little guy is fantastic for Vakeros as his ability triggers before his death, and the react would occur before the die roll of Vakeros' ranged strike. Instant hit. Take that Tower'd up Ar'teks and die manipulating Tavises.

But a single level 1 character does not a victory make. We need to extend his usefulness, which Vakeros can do without too much trouble. Starting Albino Novice is totally out of the question, we need to ensure his survival until the proper moment, so my current thought is the typical x3 Urg, x2 Tower start, to buy time. Vakeros will use I Call Forth Valor to fetch the little guy, drop him during a clear moment and spend him back to rank two. The deck should also run x3 Severed of Flesh, to get double the use out of him. A few Meets for building the proper hand, and several auto-wound ranged strikes could be delivered to the enemy Warlord in short order.

Vakeros is of course Infinity's End bait, so Blinks are a necessity. The Avatar of Magic will help to keep recycling the Severed of Flesh, and then the many various ranged strike spells such as Final Power and Firey Bolts will help to round out the blitz on the action side. Rress, Stirges, and other quick punishing low level characters will keep the heat on the opponent, which this deck will have to do to pull of a win. But these are Nothrog, so that is certainly not a difficult thing to do.

So will the deck fall on its face? Have to find out whenever I actually have the time to look for my copy of Vakeros... hopefully someday!

Next Topic: The Art of Warlord.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris Dyer said...

Take a look at Dythanus Mantle (from EOTS) as well, that's another way to brind the little guy back.

Monday, May 22, 2006 9:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home